Friday, December 12, 2014

Financial Friday

The budget has gone well.  I have $1 left over in my envelopes.  I only used my credit card one time and the same went for my debit card.  After work today I am going to head to the bank. I already have my check made out to cash and a sticky note with the denominations in need.

I’ve been looking on YouTube for budgeting vlogs and using Google to help find blogs geared towards saving.  Here are some things that I’ve learned that I’m putting to use as of today:

1.       Make a menu plan and then grocery shop based on that menu plan.  It also helps to have a list of 30 to 40 go-to recipes that can be made easily and cheaply for reference in case you get cook’s block.  OCD Much?  on YouTube just did an entire video about how she menu plans and grocery shops and it was a huge help!

2.       Getting the bills you need at the bank so you don’t have to make change later on.  I mean, I’ll already be at the bank so I might as well take advantage.

3.       Separating envelopes by week.  Last pay check I put two weeks’ worth of money in each envelope.  While that was great the first week, it was getting close the second.  So when I figured out what bills to ask for, I made sure that it would work for week by week.  The difference is I’m getting significantly more tens and fives than I did last paycheck.

4.       Really start to evaluate what is a necessity, a want, or a luxury.  Without all the purchases on my account that I would normally be making with my debit card, it was super obvious when money was being taken out of my account.  It really made me think, do I really need a deluxe perfume sample sent to me for $15 a month?  No, I don’t because that’s a luxury.  My cell phone bill is super expensive and I really would like to lower it.  However, because I travel in town significantly for my job, I have to have service that will work everywhere.  And I can’t get rid of data because I really need the map and GPS features in case I get lost.  For me, my cell phone is a necessity so it’s staying.  I am trying to keep some balance with the want category though.  Do I want some snacks at home to grab while watching TV?  Yes.  I’d prefer cheesecake but caramel corn was on sale, so caramel corn it was.  I also debated getting rid of my credit monitoring service.  However, I decided that, while definitely not a necessity, it’s worth the $12/month for peace of mind.


What are some luxuries or wants that you just refuse to get rid of?  My Netflix ain’t going notwhere!

No comments:

Post a Comment