Friday, November 21, 2014

Five for Friday: What’s Getting Me Through Minnesota’s Premature Winter

  • Remote start
I’m so glad my cheap ass came up off the money for this to be installed early in the season.  While getting it done in late October didn’t actually save me much cash, it did give me a jump start on some ridiculously early November snow. 

Whatever happened to November Rain?


  • Peppermint tea

My job keeps the thermostat at frostbite and forbids any sort of fans or heaters at desks.  It’s incredibly difficult to type in gloves so I try to keep a cup of piping hot something near me during the winter.  My drink of choice right now is Stash Peppermint Herbal Tea.  It actually tastes like a peppermint stick minus the sugar.  

  • Weird Christmas music

Literally every musician on earth has put out a Christmas album.  My goal this winter is listen to as many rando Christmas songs as possible.  So far I’ve been listening to bluegrass holiday music but I’m going to start randomly clicking on one of the 29 pages of artists on Amazon’s Christmas album section and randomly start buying stuff.  

I'm pretty sure they're not talking about snow...

Oh, if you think it’s too early for Christmas music, it’s not.  As soon as the first snowflake hits the ground, it’s all fair game.

  • Online shopping

I’m not leaving my house if the bottom of my pants are going to get wet.  So far, I’ve purchased makeup, shower gel, two coats, a pair of jeans, some perfume, and a set of hubcaps.  And I have them all delivered to my job so they don’t get stolen or wet.  

  • Coolant

Fun fact: I’m incredibly cheap and don’t trust easily.  So when I was told over the summer that I needed radiator fluid, I didn’t believe the shop.  I just had a radiator flush the summer before and my car wasn’t overheating.  Plus, my manual only suggests one flush every 100,000 miles.  

I mean, last winter my car did stay a little chilly and never really got warm but my car is ten year old car so that’s to be expected.  Stuff won’t work as awesome as it did when it was new.  Well, this year it was flat out terrible so I purchased some premixed coolant online (my car requires a certain kind and it’s just easier to buy it directly from the manufacturer).  When I added the coolant, between the radiator and the overflow area, my car almost took a gallon of radiator fluid.  Oops!  I’m assuming that when I had my last flush that they either didn’t fill the overflow area with coolant or there was a bubble in my radiator hose that kept enough fluid from getting to the radiator when they did it.  I did check for leaks but it doesn’t look like anything major is happening in there.

Will I start trusting the oil change guys?  Nope.  But I will make a point to promptly Google what they tell me from now on and check it out for myself.



Do you trust your car people?  Unless it’s my family, no way.  Plus, I’m pretty good with a wrench and can fix most stuff for myself.  #girlpower

Are you doing anything to prep for winter?  I’m going to sneak in a heating pad or electric blanket to keep on my lap next week.  I’m such a rebel.


No comments:

Post a Comment