Monday, April 6, 2015

Going To the Big D and I Definitely Mean Dallas



I’ve had a bit of an extended absence.  Why?  Because I’ve been crazy busy/stressed the eff out.  I ended up getting three job offers in one day, which happened to be the day my department had to excess a position for next fiscal year.  Luckily, I turned in my resignation which will end before then so nobody else in my department gets cut.  However, my current job in the tundra also ended up cutting 159 other positions that same day, which is pretty garbage.

Anyway, I ended up with 3 job offers all in Texas.  One in Waco, one in San Antonio, and one in Dallas.  Other places I thought I was going to end up included: Denver, Houston, Portland (Oregon), and St. Louis.  Luckily, those were all a false start and I ended up where I originally wanted.

Financially, Waco made the most sense, but since I own a map and have watched Lifetime’s David Koresh documentary a few too many times, I went ahead and passed on that…

Imma go ahead and pass thx
The job in San Antonio seemed super great, I really got along well with the staff, and I love San Antonio.  However, it took them forever to make me an offer (I had been going through multiple weekly interviews for over two months) and then their offer was significantly lower than the other two that I got.  It made me sad, but I just couldn’t take the cut.

So I’m ending up in Dallas, which I’m super stoked about and where I wanted to go from the start.  It’s within a 5 hour drive of pretty much everyone I’ve known my entire life from birth until age 25, including the majority of my family.  They should be excited right?  They are…except my grandmother thinks all of Texas is Juarez (which is funny because the houses in her neighborhood take turns having SWAT raid their houses on a pretty regular basis) and my mom is so nervous about traffic in Dallas that she’s insisting she meet me in Tyler and I drive her the rest of the way.

My grandma wishes her neighbor's house was this nice.
So I have this week to pack up my entire apartment/life in Minneapolis and haul myself to Texas.  I’ve sold a good chunk of my furniture, am giving away so much to Goodwill I might finally get something back from Uncle Sam next tax season, and any moment not spent packing is being spent celebrating my bon voyage with friends and coworkers.  And I think I might be losing weight simply because I’m so nervous that I’m nauseous all the time! 

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment